Media Too White?

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Media Too White?

Trevor Phillips OBE, Chairman of the Commission for Racial Equality, states that the media is "too white for its own good".

http://media.guardian.co.uk/mediaguardian/story/0,7558,1418821,00.html

What do you think?

Read more about what Trevor Phillips says about this in "Black Success Stories" here:
http://www.black-success.com/index.htm

1 Comments:

At 3:47 AM, Blogger Ron (Sinpelo) Tocknell said...

I can't disagree with Trevor Phillips on this issue. Unfortunately, where black people are included, there is the element of tokenism.

I work in care where a lot of black people are employed. The difference in cultures tends to attract black applicants to this kind of work (it has been pointed out to me that black culture is far more family oriented than white culture. Whereas white families are more inclined to put "problem" relatives into institutional care, black families prefer to take on this responsibility themselves. It is true that we have a large number of black people working in care but comparatively few black people actually in care). However, there are quotas to fill. A black colleague once pointed out to me that, whereas I can be confident that I was employed on merit, he couldn't be sure if it was his CV, his presentation at interview or the colour of his skin that won him the job.

This is a fair point. Positive discrimination does ensure that black people are employed but at what price? I have to say that even in the care profession in which black personnel have a cultural attitude ideally suited to the profession, the further up the hierarchal ladder one looks, the whiter it becomes. This does imply that employing black people has more to do with filling quotas than recognising talent.

As for the "bling" culture, I think we, as a predominantly white-controlled society, may well have brought this on ourselves. The essential core of the "bling" culture is respect, isn't it? However distorted the concept of respect may have become through the media etc., this must surely tell us something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home